WhittleFit group riding now available on Zwift
You may have noticed that we've been testing some group riding on Zwift over the last week or so, and as of next week we'll be roling out three group rides each week for you to take part in! Zwift is a great training tool, keeping you motivated and socially connected to your team mates and friends during these testing times.
- Tuesday 28th April: Tempo Tuesday (7:15am) Lutscher CCW course (group workout)
- Thursday 28th April: Throw-down Thursday (6:05pm) The 6 Train course (easy/fast laps)
- Sunday 3rd May: Sunday Social (8:05am) Mountain 8 course (lots of climbing)
- Tempo Tuesday: A 60 minute no-drop group workout where the majority of the work is a tempo effort with the occasional splash of sweetspot or threshold work. We all do the same session (written by me), but we do it at our own intensities based on our functional threshold power (FTP), and by the magic of Zwift we all stay together. These sessions are great for boosting your FTP without destroying you, so you’re able to back up these sessions with your other planned sessions if you so wish, and also, they won’t be overly detrimental to your immune system. I will send out a separate email to the people who accept the invite for this ride as I need to send out the workout file and give instructions on downloading this file and how to join the meet up (it’s slightly different to joining a normal meet up).
- Throw-down Thursday: We start together on this ride and all do the same route, but unlike Tuesday and the weekend sessions, Zwift won’t be set to keep everyone together. However, this ride is a tale of 2 halves, we all start together, nice and easy, and follow the ride leaders’ pace (control yourselves please) until we get to a set point, then everyone is free to do their own thing. For example, this week coming we will ride multiple small loops, where we ride a loop together, then ride a hard solo loop, regroup and ride easy for a loop, then go hard again (I will explain all this again during the warm up to this session). This is NOT a race; no times will be recorded, if you want to go full gas for the hard loop that’s up to you, if you want to chase someone down, that’s up to you too, or you can just use the loop as a harder than normal interval. The choice is yours.
- Sunday Social: Our weekend group rides will always be a no-drop ride, so as long as everyone keeps pedaling Zwift will keep the group together. The rides in general will be between 1.5 hours and 2.5 hours, and will vary between flat routes, undulating routes and hilly routes, so we should have something for everyone. And as the group stays together you can push as hard or as little as you like, but just to note, don't try to set a PB on the climbs or the sprints as they don’t count in Keep Everyone Together mode, but you can put in a big effort to help drag up the group!